Digital Journalism Internship
NorthwoodsNews.com, a division of Kim Swisher Communications, LLC., is a digital collaboration committed to aggregating and sharing accurate news and information about the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
We are offering a Digital Journalism Internship for a local high school or college student who has a passion for writing and wants to craft stories that showcase the positive things happening in the region.
Who We’re Looking For:
- You are enthusiastic about writing compelling content.
- You enjoy being assigned stories and are excited about pitching your own.
- You know how to meticulously adhere to a style guide.
- You’re committed to doing thorough research.
- You’re capable of taking photos or videos to accompany your stories, when appropriate.
- You are comfortable reaching out to community members and businesses for interviews and to verify information. (This includes online and by phone.)
- You thrive in an environment where you can balance collaborating with a team and working independently.
- You have a familiarity with the Northwoods and enthusiasm for being an ambassador for the communities up here. (Bonus points if you have ever seen a Hodag!)
Our internship will be from May thru August 2021, based on your availability. We’re offering a weekly stipend of $200. Scheduling can be flexible, but holds the firm expectation that you meet all writing deadlines and attend weekly Team Meetings.
You will be writing at least one story per week for our website and social media channels. You can work remotely or at our office in Eagle River, and will be expected to join our weekly Team Meetings and consult with our editor on story ideas and accompanying images on a regular basis. (Team Meetings and story consults with our editor may be conducted via Zoom.)
Email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Digital Journalism Internship Application.
- A one-page cover letter detailing your interest, experience, location in the Northwoods and a closing paragraph clearly stating why you’re the ideal candidate for this opportunity.
- A resume, if applicable.
- One to three examples of your written work (this can include pieces written for school newspapers, online content, academic work, etc.).
- Your favorite Northwoods memory and/or a pitch for a story you’d like to write for us.
We are accepting submissions thru April 30th, and interviews will be held the week of May 3, 2021.
The candidate will start based on their availability, with our ideal start date being on or before May 24th.